Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Thursday, April 06, 2006

For Claudia


First there was the chicken.

We won't go into the chicken or the egg debacle here.

This guy is still alive and photographed for demonstrative purposes only.




In the foreground right is the killing cone with the chicken inserted. The throat is slit and the chicken is bled out. When the cone is not in use it can be detached from the tree branch, flipped over and worn as a dunce cap. Photo upon request.





The square red tub is the scalding tank. The recently deceased is dunked into the hot water a few times to loosen the feathers. My, this area looks so junky you'd think this was a WV photo.






Here is the electric chicken plucker that Bob built. The bottom disc spins the chicken around and the rubber fingers remove all, ok sometimes "most" feathers. I don't pluck unless I'm hounded to do so. I won't post the next series of pictures. Let's just say the chicken is relieved of excess baggage then placed in icy water to cool down the body.




Many of the ancestors of the above chicken.






I was going to add a photo of a cooked chicken but there is only a wing and leg left. That would make for a "lame" picture. I hope you enjoyed this, Claudia!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Perfect timing! I was just given two pheasants. They are in the boiling water now ('course, there was no need for the Cone of Death, whoa. Just sayin').

12:22 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Oh, my. You know that I like to think that the chickens I eat have nothing to do with the ones running around your farm. Don't worry, I covered my eyes! :-)

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!