Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Spring overdrive







The table cloth has been off the loom for two weeks. I finally got it washed, hemmed and pressed. Overall I'm pleased. The center fold I'm not pleased with. Unlike wool, cotton is less forgiving. I had trouble finding a rhythm and when I did, I began to fret about the center fold. I can see I should have just woven. Where I thought the weft was too tight would have been just fine after wet finishing. Lessons learned.






At least the inconsistent tension appears to be a design element. Sort'a.


And now we know why it is recommended that there be a color change at the fold....lesson 2 learned!





The first six chicks of the season.
75 more will arrive in early June.

The seedlings are growing in the greenhouse. The garden has been enlarged to 100 x 40 and I'm waiting for the fence to go up so I can get the potatoes, peas, beans and lettuce in. However, Mr Fence Man is in the woods today cutting logs for the 2,000 mushroom plugs he just got. I ask you...priorities? The plugs can wait but my peas can't! They're vining in the greenhouse. My onions will be useless!















6 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

I didn't know about the color change at the fold - good advice. My friend just returned from Conference of Northern California Handweavers where she took a double weave class. I was looking at her notebook of samples yesterday - gorgeous stuff. One of these days....

1:58 PM  
Blogger beadlizard said...

Oh, I really like the suggestion of changing color at the fold. Wish I'd known that back when I used to weave...

I think the tablecloth is beautiful.

Is that a buff Orpington chick? Two araucanas or is one a buff Brahma? I am so jealous. I miss keeping chickens. --syl

9:41 AM  
Blogger kim said...

Suggestions on eliminating a ground hog when you can't find or get to the burrow? SS&S won't work here in suburbia, but I'll be damned if it gets another meal of my pea plants or lettuce, like it did yesterday!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

The problem with making the color change at the fold is it makes an asymmetrical tablecloth. That's one of the reasons that I still haven't wound the warp for mine yet. Of course the other reason is that I don't have any time :-(

1:22 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Hi Marie, I tagged you for a Meme in my May 17th post.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Tina J said...

thank you Marie for your "warts and all" approach to blogging about weaving, and all the info you give for your projects. What a treasure. Tina

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!