Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

8,000 yards of chenille


I pulled this alpaca/silk scarf off the loom several weeks ago. I need to twist the fringe (ugly story) and wet finish it.
As I was cutting the warp off the loom I got distracted and cut about 1/3 shorter than I should have. This should be fun stuff to twist and to knot. Not!

Sorry, but Penelope should have been the final photo. Here she is with one of her 2 kids and a few chicks on her back. She is a conveyance at that moment.







Damn! Blogger won't let me rearrange the photos today.
I've wound off 8,ooo yards of chenille and have dyed 4,000 yards thus far. To the left is a photo from Handwoven, issue 132, of a shadow weave shawl. I'm using this pattern to make a chenille throw, approximately 60x80. It's really more of a blanket.



Here is an overall view, albeit a crappy picture.
















These are the colors I am dyeing.


When the dyeing is complete, I'll wind the yardage onto spools. . .
40 freakin' spools, and hope I wind sufficient yardage onto each. My main problem is that my clock reel is not adjustable and I know that the hanks will have shrunk. I'm still unsure of how I will transfer the 200 yard hanks to the spools. Once that is complete, I will check myself into a mental hospital for about five years. Please write.


















































































































7 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

We will certainly write to you when you are finally locked up.

Chenille, shadow weave, calculating spool yardage, winding off skeins withouth a skein winder of the proper size, yep, that outta send you right over the edge.

Or, you could go all over zen, like Penelope the goat, who seems to just take things in stride.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

8,000 yards of chenille makes me shudder! EEK! You are more woman than I! The green pattern is gorgeous and in the purple it will be a divine throw.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh and the goat with the chicks on her back is Adorable!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

I have an adjustable clock reel if you can wait for a bit..... Otherwise I'll visit you at the looney bin :-)

Is this the natural chenille we got at WEBS?

7:29 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

Yes, Charleen, this *is* the chenille I got while we were at Webs. I even have several (or more) pounds left. If you think you will be up before our next trip to Webs I'd love to borrow your winder. Then I may or may not skip the visit to the Institution!

Sara, I even thought this all out KNOWING that I'd have problems with the skein winder. I live in a small world where "everything will work out". It's odd how that seldom works.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

The green shawl turned out wonderfully, and I can see that in spite of the picture. I do love the goat conveyance for chickens.

3:40 PM  
Blogger beadlizard said...

Oh, the idea of twisting a short fringe makes me cringe. Can you set a row of cookies on the table and eat one for every 12 fringes finished or some such?

Use Charleen's clock reel!

Absolutely love the goat-bus.

Will come and keep you company for a long time in the loony bin. --syl

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!