Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Blanket is complete


Andy's color choices










What he got.
Blowin' in the wind
Hard pressed, as am I.
I had a little warp left and wove a simple 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 twill, then 7 shots of plain weave. It may become a pillow sham to go with the blanket.
Answers to the trichromatic dye system. Linda Knutson's book, Synthetic Dyes, Natural Fibers, is the best place to go for a comprehensive explanation. The system is based on 10. For example, you choose three colors, A-B-C. You begin by taking a very stiff drink. Break out the dyes you want to combine, and take another drink. You can use syringes successfully for measuring out small quantities of dye. There are 11 levels, beginning with 11 combinations and ending with 1 color. Now, have another drink. Level "0" begins with one color (B) and ends with color C. Color A is the top of the triangle, on level 10. Each color is assigned a per centage for each combination. The first number to the left represents color A, the center number represents color B, and the third number represents color C. "0100" can be read as no A, pure B (based on 10, which would be 100%), no C. The next number is 091, or: no A/9 parts B and 1 part C. The end of level 0 reads 0010, or: no A, no B, all C, or 100%. Level 0 reads: 0100, 091, 082, 073, 064, 055, 046, 037, 028, 019, 0010. Note that color A is not used at all. Level 1 begins after another slug for the bottle. Level 1 now introduces color A; 190, 181, 172, 163, 154, 145, 136, 127, 118,109. All across level 1, only one part of color A is used and a decreasing amount of color B is mixed with A and C is increased by one part for each gradation. At the end of level 1, color B is excluded. Level 2 begins with "280". Each level begins with the level number. Recall in level "0", no color A was used. Level 1 uses 1 part of color A all the way across. Level 2 uses 2 parts of A all the way across. Each level uses less and less of color C. I'm tempted to scan the chart so you can clearly see how this works but I don't want to violate copyright, though I don't think it would apply --- but I'm not taking any chances.
I've clumsily explained this. Buy the book or talk to Sara Lamb........I'd say talk to Charleen but you will risk being adorned in dye.





4 Comments:

Blogger Charleen said...

Good 'splaining, Marie! Now for my side of the story: Marie's husband makes some wonderful cherry brandy. Mixed with cola it transported me to junior high where I remembered walking down to the soda shop for cherry cokes. All that time travel is sure to make one's hand a little unsteady. AND just so you know - I think you've paid me back in spades by posting that picture of my ten chins :-)

7:53 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Wow! Wow!! Wow!!! One of the questions I've pondered is how to weave a material to be the size of my pillow. I guess the answer is to just make it bigger and cut it if needed. There are pillows in my future and I'll have to print this post to refer to.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Lovely warm colors: looks like staring into the embers of a fire.

Nice explanation of the color triangle too: I especially liked the lubrication parts. Miss you and Charleen, you guys have too much fun.

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Dyeing would definately go more smoothly with the drink for confidence and bravado. Wonderful reds.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!