Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Seams on Woven Panels

I still prefer seaming woolen items that I've woven, but I have two projects of 6/2 cotton that must be sewn together. This piece I dyed last fall. It's 3 twill panels, each 84" long. The technique I've used on wool just didn't look good with the cotton. I tucked this way for a long, long time. Today I decided I'm going to find something that works, looks good, or close enough, just to finish up this summer blanket and the table cloth. I used the Ball Stitch from Finishing Touches For The Handweaver, by Virginia M. West.

I'm sewing from the wrong side.

This is the right side.

The thrum balls are all tied and trimmed. Now I have to measure the lengths of each color so I can decide how far I can travel on this "reclaimed" cotton.

Son#2 and his wife are still in the Will.
Happy Mothers Day!




5 Comments:

Blogger beadlizard said...

Have to show the lovely flowers and your comment to DD!

Virginia West to the rescue again. I wish I could have known her in person. --Syl

4:57 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

The seams looks really good. I've been meaning to try doubleweave with cotton but I see that stripes will look good if I decide to seam. I don't think I have the West book. Guess I'll have to look over it when I finally get up there again!

The flowers are beautiful!

6:40 AM  
Blogger kim said...

Glad your #2 son are still in the will. Both of mine, along with their father, are OUT! At this point the cat and the dog will be the beneficiaries. Just wait until someone needs a ride this week.

1:30 PM  
Blogger MosaicTheory said...

Hi, I saw your knitted cat bed and wonder if you would be interested in making one for my girl cat? She is an orphaned cat and would love to cuddle round. Please let me know of the price. Thank you. sophieluu44 at gmail dot com.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Sophie, you didn't leave an email address. I've never made these beds for anyone outside of the family. I suppose we could discuss it via email.
lilmccoy@gmail.com

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!