Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Monday, August 25, 2008

The Beast

I've never named a car, a spinning wheel or any loom until now. I've named her The Beast. I suppose because she is large and I am not.

My first project, looking quite "ethnic", is the Rosepath III from My Favorite Rugs. I'm not crazy about the colors, but they'll do as a test run.




Charleen and I took our annual run up to
WEBS. I didn't spend as much as I usually do but I got to fill in some colors in different weight cottons. I had a nice starter palette in Eight-Two but added some greens this trip. I then went a little crazy with Valley Mercerized Cotton. I bought a lot of 5/2 and a few pounds in 3/2.



As is tradition, we left WEBS and shot down to Countrywool "hotel" and spent the night in Claudia's shop. I bought some lovely rusty/orange wool to make a sweater from one of Claudia's designs. I wonder if it will be ready for Rhinebeck.

There are several rug designs I've been wanting to try. I've also be toying with the idea of a double weave rug. Please shoot me.

3 Comments:

Blogger beadlizard said...

A double-weave rug?! What will the fold look like? How on earth can you beat something that heavy? Yikes.

DD and I did a fly-by at the fabric store and were confounded by the greens. We're going to have to go when we have more time. In the meantime, I am going to do more research about fabric weights for the strips.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Rhinebeck, eh. Amy friend Allison goes and I am envious. That you live within driving distance of Webs is a point of envy as well. My boys will move my loom upstairs after this wekeend so I can finally give the rag rugs a try, since you say it's not rocket science.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Marie, your loom room looks awesome! Great work! We'll be up maybe in November sometime. Gotta get our maple syrup.

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!