Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Monday, October 23, 2006

Five Flippin' Rugs Done




29"X54"
6 epi doubled poly-cotton warp
two 2" strips per shot
bed sheets

The hem is NOT frowning as shown.







28"X42"
Thomas the Engine and 101 Dalmation weft
2" strips, 1 per shot
6 epi/doubled poly-cotton warp


My new bathroom rug for upstairs!
29"X56"

Bed sheets cut into 2" strips

2 strips per shot

I'm very happy with this rug!







Looper rug...ugly, ugly looper rug

30X45

blah, blah, blah




Another rug made from sheets

29"X44

See the shadow of my head?






Thoughts now that the rugs are off the loom:

use 5 - 10 shots of waste yarn between rug hems instead of 3 or 4. Easier to cut
using more than 2 warp threads for the hem would make it too thick to sew on the machine
use T-pins to secure hems. Quilting pins may bend...hell, they do bend!
thicker rugs don't scrunch up as easily.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Whoa, inspiring. I may just ahve to make a rug! Thanks for the tips,

S.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Fantastic, Marie! Have you used all cotton warp yet? I was wondering if you saw any differences. I've only used 8/4 cotton (says she, even though she's only made 2 rugs!)

2:56 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Char, I've only used the poly-cotton. I've woven 7 rugs from it and still have what appears quite a bit left. My next warp will be all cotton. I did buy all that colored cotton warp after all. I'm thinking I need to weave a runner for the old kitchen to replace that nasty piece of indoor-outdoor carpet. Of course poly-cotton would wear better, but then when did I ever make sense!

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!