Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Spending $ Makes Me Happy

The Union is wonderful! I've learned how to overcome the flying advance of warp and I'm weaving rugs happily. I've completed the third rug using two 2" rag strips per shot. I'm midway through the fourth rug which is to be for a friend per request. This time I used doubled ends set at 6 epi. These rugs will be far more cushy than the first two.

I used a glue stick to glue the strips together for one of the rugs. Though it's quick and easy and can be done in front of the TV, it isn't any quicker than sewing the strips together. Do not keep your glue stick next to your tube of lip gloss. Though the glue stick is larger, if you're not paying attention you'll grab it and almost use it on your lips. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I got my wee paycheck from summer camp and made a huge order to Leesburg Looms and Supplies. Two enormous boxes arrived yesterday and I'm like a pig in s*it. Now to find room for all the warp I ordered.

I also ordered small cabinet maker scrapers for my spoons which also arrived yesterday. What a difference that makes in evening out the pesky gouge marks in my spoons. I have a gouge injury on my left index finger that will not stop bleeding. It was an oops moment.

On the dye front: 40#s of sock loopers, unknown content. I had ordered one jar of disperse dye and a bottle of PRO Dye Carrier NSC. The more I thought about it the more I realized I did not want to risk using the NSC, even with a respirator. I dyed 2.5# as a test run without using the NSC but did add the acid. It worked. The blue is a nice rich color, not navy, but then didn't expect to get a true navy. I have another 2.5# dyeing in the roaster again today...dyeing outside...in the rain. It's a shame that is all the roaster can hold. I doubt 5# will be enough to do a rug, so I know I'll be dyeing for the next few days. I did score another roaster, a used roaster, a big heavy roaster similar to what Mom had back in the 50's. Himself asked if this one could be for cooking food and not fiber. I'll roast a turkey or chicken or 2 then go back to the "dark side" and use it for dyeing. I'm an evil dyer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Charleen said...

I'm so happy that the Union is working out for you. Maybe *someday* I'll get to see it in action. BTW - do you still have enough lip gloss? I just found the one you gave me in the zippered pocket of that tote bag!

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!