Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thursday Blathering

New tablecloth from Adivasi. They have a web site, so try "dot com". This sweet piece is 90x108. The colors are deeper but the morning sun gives us this color perspective. The hand thrown been pot was made by Hunter Neil, a new friend of ours. The colors go so well together.



I opened the closet in the loom room yesterday and rediscovered two boxes and one bag of Pendelton wool selvages I bought about 10 years ago. I wove my first rug using the worms and though the animals like the rug I'm not that crazy about the shag rug look. Well, not being one to waste "product", I pulled out the selvages and wove this at the end of a run of rugs.
It's a shame only half the warp is black. The white will be hidden after some wear. I have more in this color, I think enough for another good size rug. The other box of worms is more to my color liking and will warp for that today or tomorrow.
This is the warp I painted and dyed using most of the left overs from the trichromatic dye samples Charleen and I mixed several weeks ago. When a run was completed we'd dump all the colors together then transfer the mix to small jars.
Again, not wanting to waste otherwise good dye, albeit small amounts, I wound a 10 yd warp, 25" worth (sett 20) and painted using the remnants of Mad Scientist Day. I read on someones blog (I didn't write down who) her use of Satin Weave for a better hand. I went to the Bible of M. Davison and found several examples. I liked the example on page 73, treadling II.

5 Comments:

Blogger Charleen said...

Nice warp! Did you get the green from our leftovers too?

8:41 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

OH, that painted warp is gorgeous! I would absolutely love to be able to do my own warp painting and dyeing. My too tiny kitchen and no outdoor area are my complaint against this. However, these are hopefully only temporary.

4:22 AM  
Blogger beadlizard said...

Oh, that green is truly beautiful, and I love satin weaves. What fun. Do show what it becomes, please? --Syl

6:55 PM  
Blogger countrywool said...

I love the green warp! What a sha,mama8765de!!!!!!

4:10 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I love your painted warps. One day when I am bursting with energy I am going to imitate you. One day during this cold winter.....

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!