Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Union Custom Loom

This Union Custom Loom has seen better days, uh, and nights. The shuttle tray has serious water damage, missing the bottom and needs to be rebuilt. The crank is missing as are the treadles. The second shaft rubs against the warp beam, which by the way, has a brake at each end. I'm thinking that simply squaring the loom will rectify the problem. She needs major work. It was a "free to a good home" loom. She was a beauty in her day though. If only I could find a four shaft Union.



















I finished the sweater last night during the Sox-Indian game. Sorry the photo is so dark, but it's the best one of the three I took.




Warp and weft drying. This is the wool I just dyed in navy/black. The center skeins will be the weft and didn't dye as evenly as the warp and has some interesting color variation that I actually like.




Some of the flock just hangin'











Big enough to eat!







6 Comments:

Blogger bspinner said...

Doesn't it break your heart to see neglected looms? Do you plan on repairing it?

2:02 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Great job on the sweater! It makes me want to have a finished object.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Yes, bspinner, I do plan on restoring this loom. I think it is doable. I need time to get out and wash 'er up and do a complete physical to determine what all needs to be done. I don't know if I'll start this fall or wait until spring.

6:36 AM  
Blogger beadlizard said...

That sweater is really nice!

Are those Cornish x Rocks? If I were there, I'd butcher them for you.

Can't wait to see what you do with the navy/black. --syl

5:35 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Yes they are, Sylvia! Thanks for the offer, but we do "process" them ourselves. Feel free to fly in and help us, though.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

Hey Marie! The last picture didn't load. Can you check that, please?? and if it's okay on your end, could you mail it to me.

8/4 wool, huh? From Mecca??

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!