Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I'm a Flippin' Idiot

There are a few more pair of mittens I need to knit and the above colors wasn't in my stash. I pulled out two skeins of Lopi Lite, soaked and dyed the skeins. I was very careful to put them into the dye pot at the same time so that the strike would occur at the same time for both skeins. I went back to the loom room and finished weaving the second scarf. I checked the dye pot after an hour and saw the discrepancy in color! I was fuming because I couldn't figure out how this happened. I decided I'd blog about it and call this entry "I'm No Dye Virgin". Well, the joke, as usual is on me. Once I rinsed, well actually during the rinsing I noticed one skein is 1 ply and the other is plied! What? These were purchased at the same time, kept in the same bag, lo these many years. I pulled the tags out of the trash. Here is what I found :
The third scarf begun, again Queens Cord. Yes, Carleen! I'm using different tie ups and treadling for each one. The warp is black rayon and the weft is a deep lavender, though you certainly can't tell. I carried around a bobbin of the perle cotton along with the camera. I guess because we're having a temporary blizzard I'm unable to get a shot of the correct color. Or could it be the Gama waves?



3 Comments:

Blogger Woven Spun said...

The scarves look great. Can't wait to see them off the loom. And even though the purples are the same shade, they look great together

4:20 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Oh my. Love those purples anyway!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Can you double the single ply and use them both. I think they'd make beautiful mittens.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!