Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Felted Knit Cat Bed

Completed cat bed or basket. The diameter prior to felting was 27". I put it through two wash cycles and one rinse. The final diameter is 13". I've made similar cat beds and felted them down to 17" which I feel is too big. My cats are large but prefer very small, cuddly nests. Of course, this is not for my cats but for my sons 15 cats. They'll have to share. In his defense, his wife is a vet and brings home her work sometimes. They have cat doors so the cats are in and out. And, their house is huge. End of disclaimer.
The sides were too high. Again, my personal preference is for lower sides. I folded the top edge down and discovered this stabilized outer perimeter. The rim height, after folding is 3.25".
The mice wanted to try out the bed. One more gift complete! Their boa, Scout, will get a personal note from me that she is not allowed to eat the mice.

Pattern is from wendyknits.

4 Comments:

Blogger Leigh said...

Oh, I love this! I tried a cat bed but didn't felt it. My cats managed to destroy the shape so that it is now a flat circle. Maybe I should try felting it anyway. I don't reckon a few cat hairs felted in would hurt anything. :)

3:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a terrific idea! I have a cat furniture website,
MyCatsHeaven. I'd like to include
knitted cat beds. Is there anyone out there who produces these for resale?
=^..^=

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Sean Wood said...

Hi! These Cat Beds are looking awesome. I really appreciate your talent. I will surely try to knit a Cat Bed for my lovely cat.

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!