Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Friday, May 16, 2008

Just a thought or ten

I have no idea what preceded a thought I had yesterday. What drew me to an astounding conclusion. I have never seen anyone but me weave. Everything that I know about weaving is from books, not many, but actually from weaving lists and blogs. And trial and error. Probably a lot of "error".

Then my mind wandered, as it is wont to do, and thought about all the things I have learned on my own. Years ago I taught myself to knit by buying two cheap books from MJ Designs and then discovered the Internet. I asked questions on the "original" knit list. It was still .edu in those halcyon days. I did have one quick spinning lesson, then spent the weekend gnashing my teeth until I had that instant light bulb moment. There have been many things that I have tackled on my own, just because.

I found the loom of my dreams and will pick it up in August. Poor thing is on lay-away. I don't want to jinx this wonderful find, so I'll dish out the details when I finally get it, or if you call me and ask. I have no self control.

5 Comments:

Blogger beadlizard said...

Wow, Marie, that's a stunner. You weave beautifully and *are* a weaver by nature. Hmmm.

So, this also means you haven't woven in tandem, sitting next to a friend at a wide loom, throwing the shuttle back and forth and laughing and singing along with Santana? You need to spend time at Alden and Stephenie's!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Hi Marie, just had to say - me to! I've a big pile of books, an internet connection and a loom.

It's the internet makes the difference, being able to discuss things with other weavers, but I do get to wondering what other people's looms really look like and how they weave ;)

3:29 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Valerie is going to Penland - can you believe it?! I can't think of anything I can envy more. I am a book learner too and so appreciate what you share - you push me. I brought home a library book on weaving rugs with rags. My goal is one rag rug by next year~

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weave on, Marie! I'm a self taught weaver -- grew up in Wyoming, and so everything I learned was from library books (I was also a very broke student and couldn't afford to go buy books) and from the early issues of Handwoven, and Prairie Wool Companion -- and from my wonderful sister-friend, Patty.

Imagine my delight when three years ago I was able to join a real guild, here in Colorado. I have learned so much from our Guild members. I so love it that the majority of weavers are so willing to share their knowledge, their tips and tricks, and their own weaving foibles and disasters.

Here's to self-taught discoveries, there's something so exciting about that process.

Cheers,
Jane

7:22 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

You have all the self control you need - you know what you want and you're going there. You're not afraid to try things without someone holding your hand. Sounds good to me!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!