Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Friday, April 13, 2007

What if I.....

Here is one of the aprons I talked about in a previous entry. I had stamped chefs and chef hats all over a very boring white apron. It remained boring. I decided to paint dye over the dried apron which still had soda ash in the fiber. The apron was wrapped in plastic and tossed willy nilly into the roaster oven and batched for three days. The stamping all but disappeared.

In this picture I'm beginning to pleat the fabric. After the pleating I tied kitchen string up the pleated sausage. I injected dye into each segment, again wrapped in plastic and "carefully" placed into the roaster. I didn't want to *iss off the dye faeries.








The individual segments aren't showing up all that well in this picture, but you get the idea. It looks much better. The pleating is very vague, but I like the overall look. The camp counsellors will love the colors. We all know that happy camp counselors make for happy campers. I feel a song coming on.............

Wow! I wish these were the real colors on apron number two, but alas it is not. This was another failed attempt to paint on dry fabric "What If" test. I folded the apron in quarters and stitched the fabric in a star burst.














Then I pulled up the stitching, breaking a few of the threads, and restitched in four areas.

Tomorrow I'll decide what colors to use. I may just throw it in black....or perhaps simply squirt dye along the stitching lines. I'm not sure. But I am sure that this will be the last time anything gets done to this piece. That is a lot of work for a lowly apron. Oh, and this is only a half apron that I'll probably make into a "real" apron. It is a rectangle with ties attached to the center of two sides so that it makes a double half apron. How boring is THAT? I cut the ties off and saved until the apron is remade. Once dyed/washed and dried, I'll draw out the apron shape, then cut and sew. Such genius!

5 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Yeah, but it's not about the lowly apron - it's about finding something to accept the dye. I love the experimentation - what will this be? You do too, or you wouldn't be dyeing aprons~

6:16 PM  
Blogger beadlizard said...

And *what* is lowly about an apron, pray tell?!!! DD just did a report on clothing during the Civil War and all the women wore aprons. We still do in my family. We LOVE aprons! [If you're wearing an apron, you can spill, guilt-free. That is worth something in my life!]

Your dye projects inspired me. DD and I just overdyed the objectionable parts of a space-dyed hank of sock yarn today. It had a lovely pale mustard and a warm sage, and neon dark and light chartreuse. Of course it didn't look like that on the computer monitor when I ordered it, even when I was careful to view it from a couple of different browsers and computers...

Did a quick batch of kool-aid since I only needed to do about 2 ounces. Came out much improved. Isolated the icky parts with thick rubber bands. Shifted them toward emerald with kiwi-watermelon or some such, then muted the brilliance with a hint of black cherry.

Can't wait to see the outcome of your stitched apron. --Syl

6:58 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

Can't wait to see what the second apron looks like. I like the idea of pleating it.

7:50 PM  
Blogger countrywool said...

You know, it's awfully gray outside...checking your blog brings SUNSHINE.

3:57 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Well, I like it ... I'm sure you'll get it the way you want it eventually.
I agree with my *old friend* Sylvia ... can't wait to see the results of the stitching.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!