Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ruminating on Uniqueness

Before I die I want to create something that is unique to me. At this point all I can think of is a dead fly collage with a few finch feathers and some bird feed thrown in. Can you tell what I just finished doing?

I love Sara's work and her never-ending creativity. Bonnie's work is always inspiring, whether it's using re-cycled sweaters or putting together a quilt made from sample weaving. I copy what I like, and when copying, one cannot help but put her own unique fingerprint on the piece. However, the inspiration came from another ,via plagiarism (broad stroke use of the term)or some type of infringement. I've learned a lot by doing this, but I'd like to do something unique, even if it's "unvented". I'm not a terribly intuitive person, especially when knitting. I feel more comfortable with weaving. Perhaps because it's flat and I don't have to worry about whether to short row or just decrease and if choosing one, what the ultimate outcome will be. I like texture in knitting and color in weaving. So I've narrowed down what I like. But to do something unique. Something that stands out in a crowd of fiber fanatics, in a positive way. Not an "oh my gawd, what was she ever thinking" way. There is that satisfied feeling when pleasing oneself, but better when it's recognized by one's peers. I'm aware that this is looking for outside affirmation, and so be it. I'm hoping to have a vision, a dream of what this will be. Mushrooms, anyone?

5 Comments:

Blogger Spindlers2 said...

Oh, I do so share those sentiments. If you ever come up with an answer, please let me know.
I laughed out loud at the few dead flies and etc. I had one of those moments today, as well, collecting enough spiders web from around the windows (it's that time of year) to weave something myself.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

You sell yourself short, my friend. Those warps that you die in bouts and then weave up are completely unique and totally awesome. I share your sentiments though. That form of individual creative expression is part of our nature, looking for a path.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I can completely identify with this. I have a close friend who is an artist -- whenever I think of something I think I'd like to try my hand at (be it fiber related, beads, god help me mosaics) she's already done it, and done it well. I try hard to swallow my bitter jealousy.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Unique may be something to aspire to. However I'm sometimes concerned that the obsession with copyright/intellectual property rights has put a damper on a longstanding means of self expression. Derivative works have been around for ages. It's valid to be inspired by another's art.
If not for derivative works, Jane Smiley could never have written A Thousand Acres (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Thousand_Acres
)
I know what you're saying. I've felt that way too...a longing to find my very own voice. But it's okay to be inspired by the works of others. An in turn, you inspire us, your readers! Thank you.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Ruth S. said...

I'm with Sharon, you're selling yourself short.

Whatever you decide, it's gonna be *awesome*, my friend.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!