Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Sunday, February 24, 2008

How To Finish Projects That Bore You

Whew! That took some doing, not ending the title with a preposition!

About a year ago I was slogging along with a long, boring, monochromatic warp and weft. It just didn't seem to be progressing. I begin to find myself avoiding the loom day after day because I was so, terribly bored with it. I eventually realized that I wasn't going to finish it by avoiding it. I got the kitchen timer and brought it into the weaving room and set it for 15 minutes. That is a doable time. The timer went off and I set it for another 15 minutes. I don't recall how long I actually wove that day, but did realize that once I'm seated, and there are no interruptions, I'm likely to sit and weave until my butt-bones cry Uncle. There are times when 15 minutes is all I can take. I've also learned that it is a (project)"state of mind", which often changes day to day. Those 15 minute intervals of weaving pays off. The project is magically completed, another warp wound, and there is new hope.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I will give that a try the next time I'm avoiding a project. (La,la,la I don't see that large loom in the room. La, la, la)

3:53 AM  
Blogger ~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I dont think I have visited before (but, haveing CRS I can never be sure :), I found you through Sharon's blog. I was going back through some of your posts and came on the little steaming pile of lamb lol that is so wonderful! Ours aren't due until mid March, every day seems to go by like three. Anticipation!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

That is an excellent idea Marie. I have projects like that too. Usually I put them out of sight. Kinda hard to do that with a loom though. :)

7:04 PM  
Blogger ~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Leigh, I did it! My loom is in the spare bed room, I just close the door lol

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!