Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Thursday, February 28, 2008

This was my experimental piece (in our previous episode). I had cut out 5 warp threads between 20 end groupings. Obviously I should have cut out 4 or 6 ends. My concern however, was how to treat the ends after it was off the loom. I hadn't left enough space at the beginning of the "runner" (cough/hack) to twist the fringe.

I heavily zig zagged the edges then double folded the edges and used a 3 point zig zag to secure the hem.
The white warp and the green weft makes my eyes spin. It's much too busy though it doesn't really show in this photo. White weft is ok, but my preference is color. White washes out the weft, though there are times that it's needed. I think I had a specific plan when I warped the Union, but I have no idea what that plan was. Perhaps I thought I should put on a generic warp so I could use any weft. Dunno, but sorry I did it that way.


This is one end of a rug using white as an accent. I believe Shaker rugs use this technique, though far better, to create sharp arrow patterns. I attempted this, but it is mighty fiddly, so I relaxed and just made "free-form designs".
Sure looks pink, doesn't it? It's not. It's the same weft as the above rug. I learned a lot about the definition of "value" with these two rugs. I dyed lots of muslin a few years ago. One piece was LWI in oranges. Another piece was dyed using fuchsia and deep gold and the third piece a gold/orange. The 3 pieces were then sewn together at the selvages and finally sewn into a tube. One, continuous strip was cut . The long strip was ironed with the edges folded in towards the center, then folded in half. Next time (ha!) I will make sure not to use the same value so the changes in color is more distinct. I do like these two rugs. Now to twist the fringe on this rug.
I love this! This piece transitions gradually. I had two very old, thin duvet covers. The fabric was a border print. The fabric was quite thin and cut into 1" strips. This could be a rug, obviously using a rubber mat, or better yet, a runner for a long table.
This shows the transition from one part of the duvet cover to the next. There were four distinct parts to the overall print. I separated the strips into four piles then divided them into two groupings so the rug/runner would be symmetrical. The rug shuttles have to be wound twice to preserve the order of the weft as in the orange/pink rugs.
The morning is over and nothing but this blog has been done. I'm outta here!






5 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

I keep telling myself that I'm fine with my looms not being rug looms - until I read your blogs. Of course, I have not woven the handspun warp still on my warping board so had better stop drooling over your production and make some of my own. The duvet cover rug leaves me speechless - not much does - and also green with envy. I've said that green is my favorite color of this millennium, but it's probably not best displayed as envy.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I'm glad you are being so productive and giving us examples of what to do and what not to do. I don't think rag rugs are in my near future. It seems like they are a bit too fussy for me -- although deep inside I've been dying to make one.

I have that book -- Rag Rugs, and there is one in there that is called mismatched or some such that I want to make. I just can't wrap my head around calculating yards/pounds of wool fabric into actual yards of weft.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Mismatched, Hit-and-miss, it's the same right? Ha!

It's the Hit-and-miss pattern on page 76 of the Rag Rug Handbook. I so want to make that for our living room!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

What a lovely collection. In the photo, the green and white look great! My favorite in fact. But as you say, real life doesn't always photograph realistically.

12:27 PM  
Blogger beadlizard said...

Wow, live and learn. That duvet cover piece is really wonderful. Could you simply overdye the others taht don't satisfy you?

Thank you for sharing your less than perfect results -- I wish I could be your apprentice! --Syl

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!