Funny Farm

A fearsome foray into my fiber follies. I talk about weaving, knitting, spinning and dyeing. Some chatter about the sheep, goats, pigs and chickens.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North-east PA, United States

Monday, March 10, 2008

Visitors from Maryland

Dalis from Dancing Leaf Farm brought me 1.5# of lovely merino that she dyed in three different colorways. She does beautiful work! Go to her online shop and see what she has to offer. Better yet, go to Barnesville, MD and visit her shop and her sheep, dogs and chickens.



I spun up 8oz of one of the colorways. I just sat and spun singles, not giving it any thought. After the "three bags full" escapade of nasty wool, this was such a joy! Last night I began plying. It has been a long time since I've spun painted roving and forgot that I don't like barber pole yarn. I had spun it a bit too thick to Navajo ply, so I'll have 8 oz of barber pole. The other two 8oz bumps I'll spin thinner and preserve the color changes.

So, Dalis, Anne and Bev came up for a few days because it is sap season and they wanted to experience tapping, gathering and boiling. And they did! They even made maple cream. Now Bob has to start brewing sap house beer and whiskey!

I saw quite a few Red Wing Black Birds yesterday and our Blue Heron returned. That means Spring is around the corner. Now to peruse the Johnny Appleseed catalog.



2 Comments:

Blogger beadlizard said...

I, too, am not a huge fan of barber pole yarn, but there is something so therapeutic about simply starting at one end of some sliver and spinning without plotting or planning, you know?

Those colors are beautiful. Can't wait to see what you make! --Syl

8:19 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I agree with you and Sylvia - no barber pole yarn for me. As much as I love to spin colored roving, I find I'm happiest with the yarn I've spun undyed and then rainbow dyed afterwards. It's still more fun spinning colored sliver so I have been using narrow color pathways when I dye to avoid the barber poles.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!